LSAMP Student Activity Requirements
What is LSAMP?
The UMD LSAMP Program offers a variety of opportunities to support the retention and graduation of undergraduate students in STEM disciplines. An emphasis is placed on achieving academic excellence, gaining research experiences, participating in scientific and technical conferences, and preparing competitive graduate school applications.
Benefits of Program:
- Receive information about domestic and international research opportunities
- Utilize the LSAMP in-house research internship and conference database
- Access to the Undergraduate Research Program’s monthly meetings that focus on scientific writing and graduate school preparation
- Access to academic, research, and graduate school advising with LSAMP staff
- Introduction to graduate school and support activities including conference announcements and travel support, visits from recruiters, and graduate school visits
- Professional development workshops
- LSAMP Bridge to the Doctorate Fellowship eligibility (learn more here: LSAMP Bridge to the Doctorate Program)
- Access to diverse and supportive network within the University of Maryland’s campus
Spring 2017 Program Requirements
In order to be considered an ACTIVE student for Spring 2017, LSAMP students (all students except for Spring '17 URP Fellows and Bridge 2016 Scholars), will have to complete the following requirements:
- Participate in at least TWO CMSE-sponsored volunteer opportunities per semester
- Participate in THREE LSAMP-sponsored events per semester (1 event must be a CMSE First Friday event...and you can only count 1 First Friday event towards your events requirements)
- Complete ALL LSAMP Program evaluations
Note that in order to be eligible for LSAMP Travel funding, the Bridge to the Doctorate Fellowship, or other incentives and benefits of the LSAMP Program, LSAMP
students must complete the above requirements in order to be considered ACTIVE by the end of the Spring 2017 semester.
How Do I Complete My Activity Requirements?
Good news! We have created a calendar HERE on the CMSE website that highlights all of the LSAMP events for each semester. We will also use this calendar to request volunteers for events and other activities. Please make sure to check the calendar periodically, since we will be adding new events as the semester progresses. All events and volunteer opportunities will be listed on this calendar.
Each event has a brief description which highlights the following:
- Who the event is open to (some events are restricted to specific LSAMP programs, e.g. LSAMP URP Spr '17). Note: restricted events will say CLOSED in the event description
- Date, time, and location of the event
- What LSAMP requirement that the event will satisfy if you attend
- and information about registration or RSVPing for the event
Please take a look today, as there are some great events open to all LSAMP students!
LSAMP Staff Contact
Ms. Michelle N. Udeli
LSAMP Program Coordinator
Center for Minorities in Science and Engineering, University of Maryland
1131 Glenn L. Martin Hall
College Park, MD 20742