Summer 2017 NSF LSAMP URP
The LSAMP Undergraduate Research Program is subject to available funding from the National Science Foundation (NSF).
You must submit a complete application for review, which includes the following:
- Application form
- Personal essay and research interest essay
- Letter of recommendation and recommendation form
- Unofficial transcript
- Citizenship documentation
- Summer 2017 List of courses (if applicable)
The program offers:
- Student stipends of $3,000.00 for the summer
- Faculty-student partnership to conduct cutting-edge research in the STEM fields
- Access to available academic year research opportunities and professional conferences opportunities
- Research preparation tools such as scientific writing, presentations, and professional workshops
- Graduate School Preparation workshops
- Possible graduate school visits to surrounding universities or research facility visit
- Full time student at the University of Maryland, College Park, Prince George's Community College, Montgomery College, or the University of Puerto Rico
- Community college students must be interested in transferring to the UMD.
- Rising Sophomore, Junior or Senior
- UMD students in the College of Computer, Mathematical and Natural Sciences, A. James Clark School of Engineering, or the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources
- Community college students majoring in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) fields.
- Undergraduate college student at the University of Puerto Rico (Mayaguez or Rio Piedras campuses), majoring in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) fields.
- Be a U.S. Citizen or U.S. Permanent Resident
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.8
- Conduct research with a University of Maryland, College Park faculty member in the College of Computer, Mathematical and Natural Sciences, A. James Clark School of Engineering, of the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources
- Devote about 30-35 hours a week to the research project
- Produce and submit a written research project report, approved by the faculty advisor, at the end of the summer and present research at culminating symposium
- Participate in all LSAMP URP activities and workshops
- Participate in seminars or colloquiua given by the College of Mathematical and Natural Sciences, A. James Clark School of Engineering, or College of Agriculture and Natural Resouces
**Students will have to identify a Research Mentor prior to the start of the Undergraduate Research Program.**
Application Priority deadline is March 31, 2017.
Final Application deadline is April 7, 2017.
Submission of documents and questions can be forwarded via email to:
Ms. Michelle Udeli
LSAMP Program Coordinator
Center for Minorities in Science and Engineering University of Maryland
1131 Glenn L. Martin Hall
College Park, MD 20742